I love having my nails done however I hate spending £30 every month to get them done. I also have some social anxiety that makes me panic when getting them done, so if I can avoid both the cost and the panic then I definitely will.
Also with my line of work I am ALWAYS covered in paint, glue, glitter, chalk and just about anything and everything you associate with children using.
Recently I bought myself a UV nail lamp so I could start doing my own gels. I also bought some cheap gel nail polishes including a base and top coat.
I was so frustrated the first 3 attempts at doing my nails, because they would literally peel off minutes after applying them. However with some further re search and better gel nail polish, I am finally able to do them and have the last up to 3 to 4 weeks.
Here some things to keep in mind if your planning on doing your own gel manicure at home.
- It is very hard to find good professional gel nail polishes and nail care without having a trades card. Obviously the professional nail equipment will stay on your nails longer and some of the nail purifiers are very potent and could cause damage if spilt on furniture or skin. I popped into my local Sallys where I was able to have some advice on equipment that I could buy and what would work best.
- It can be rather expensive to buy, which is why I’ve bought the majority of my stuff bit by bit so it doesn’t seem to expensive. I will leave everything I’ve bought down bellow.
- It is very important that you buff and purify your nails other wise the gels will just peel right off.
- Use a base and a top coat! Base coats help to protect your natural nails and a top coat will seal in your nails and give a lovely shine.
- Clean up as you go! When painting your nail if you go outside of your nail and onto the skin, you must clean it up. If you don’t clean it up then the nail will not seal properly and it will again just peel off. Simply use another nail or a toothpick/ cotton bud to wipe away the excess polish.
- You must cure your base, gel and top coat under a UV lamp for over 30 seconds.
- Use a nail cleanser once your gels are done to remove any tackiness left on the nail.
- Don’t leave nail polishes on a window ledge or in direct sunlight it will dry them up and make them go weird.
These nail polishes (red carpet) are beautiful gel polishes that are affordable, work great and the colours are beautiful. I would recommend these polishes!
I hope these little tips help!
All products I used to create my red sparkle manicure-
Red gel nail polish- https://www.sallybeauty.co.uk/REDCARPETGELPOLISH.html?cgid=root&dwvar_REDCARPETGELPOLISH_color=Only%20In%20Hollywood#cgid=root&q=red+carpet+gel+polish&prefn1=colorFamily&prefn2=colorFinish&prefv1=Red&prefv2=Glitter&start=1